About Sensing in Water
SWIG are a not for profit information, ideas-exchange, and networking group with a diverse UK-wide membership drawn from the water and process industries, sensor manufacturers and their distributers, academic institutions involved in sensor research, regulatory bodies and consultants working in the field of water management.
Sensing in Water is SWIG's biennial conference. This year we are celebrating 30 years of SWIG at Sensing in Water 2023. Building on the successes of previous years, SWIG will deliver a conference packed with cutting edge content from novel sensors to advanced telemetry, data analytics and fascinating case studies of challenging applications.
Two Days of Powerful Talks
The Data Journey: From Sensor to Control Room” will provide a comprehensive overview of the process of collecting, analysing, and acting upon sensor data in the water industry. The conference will bring together experts in the field to discuss the latest developments and best practices for utilising sensor data in the water sector.
The water industry is facing old and new challenges in the form of energy reduction, effluent monitoring requirements, leakage, and environmental impact, among others. Sensors and data play a key role in helping water industry professionals to address these challenges. This conference will follow “The Data Journey” from novel sensing and advanced communications to cutting-edge analytics that can transform the way water control rooms make decisions and manage infrastructure and processes.
Sensing in Water 2023 will feature a lineup of highly qualified industry experts as speakers. Gain valuable insights from these esteemed professionals who bring a wealth of knowledge and experience to the table.
*Subject to change as speakers finalise their content.
Sensing in Water is now a well established conference in the water sector calendar. This year will be the 5th biennial conference and, with record numbers at our recent workshops, SWIG anticipate it will be bigger and better than ever. The conference is the ideal opportunity to raise the profile of your company in the eyes of the water sensor community.
Announcing Our Gala Dinner Speaker...
Dr Matt Winning
We are thrilled to announce that the after-dinner speaker for this year's event will be none other than the hilarious and insightful Dr Matt Winning.
As an environmental economist and comedian, Dr Winning is the perfect choice to entertain and educate our esteemed guests. With his clever jokes and witty insights, he'll have everyone in the room laughing and learning about important issues like climate change, renewable energy, and sustainability.
So, whether you're a researcher, a scientist, or simply someone who cares about the future of our planet, be sure to attend for this unforgettable performance at Sensing in Water 2023.
Terms and conditions
1. The competition is open to everyone; however, an entry may be rejected when SWIG, in its reasonable discretion, believes the entry does not conform to the rules and conditions.
2. Entries are limited to not more than 2 images per person.
3. Each image must have a unique title including the name of the photographer.
4. Entries must originate as photographs (pictures made using a camera, in which an image is focused on to light-sensitive material and then made visible and permanent by chemical treatment, or stored digitally).
5. By virtue of submitting an entry, the entrant certifies the work as their own (aliases are not permitted).
6. The entrant permits SWIG to reproduce all or part of the entered material free of charge for publication and/or display in media related SWIG's activities.
7. Entrants who indicate that their images may not be reproduced or used “will not be eligible for awards” and could be subject to disqualification.
8. SWIG assumes no liability of any misuse of copyright. Images may be altered, either electronically or otherwise, by the maker. Artwork or computer graphics created by the entrant may be incorporated provided the photographic content.
9. Photo submissions and queries must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. The closing date for entries is 31st July 2023.
Terms and conditions
The authors of all posters passing to the final judging phase will be invited to bring their posters to be displayed at the Sensing in Water Conference 2023 on 27th September. The winner will be judged on popularity with delegates at the conference. The winner will be announced at the gala dinner that evening. Gala Dinner attendance for the final candidates will be funded by SWIG.
1. The competition is open to PhD students and academic/industry researchers within the first 5 years of their first research post.
2. The poster should be the work of one person. Academic supervisors or work colleagues may be named but should not be the primary author.
3. Research is to be interpreted broadly but must include some original work.
4. All entries will be judged by a panel made up from the Directors of SWIG who will decide on our 3 finalists. The Panel’s decision will be final. The winner will be voted for by conference delegates.
5. SWIG reserve the right to cancel the competition.
6. The prize winner shall agree to their poster being published on the SWIG website.
7, Submissions and queries must be sent to email@example.com.
8. The closing date for entries is 18th August 2023.
9. An entry may be rejected when SWIG, in its reasonable discretion, believes the entry does not conform to the rules and conditions.